In the Judging Room or on the Show Floor, all personnel who are part of the judging team should:
- If they are making entries, do so unobtrusively and leave.
- Disqualify themselves from judging any plant, flower or exhibit with which they have any relationship that might be construed as an interference with impartiality or a conflict of interest.
- During judging, direct their attention only to the activity in progress and establish an attitude of detachment. This will facilitate an accurate assessment of plant quality in each step of the fudging process.
- Cooperate fully with the Judging Chairman and Team Captain in completing and signing forms, described flowers, insuring that measurements are done and are correct. Never leave the team or the judging area without being excused.
- Keep in mind that whatever happens in the judging room or on the show floor should remain there. Judging is a committee activity and only the Judging Chairman should interpret its result to the exhibitor or the public.
Outside the judging Area:
- If asked about an awarded flower, the judge should discuss it only generally and insure that he does not second-guess the committee. The applicant should be referred to the Judging Chairman.
- Gifts, such as plants or pieces of plants must not be accepted without reciprocation or value for value.
- Judges should not accept plants or discounts from commercial growers, unless these are offered to all orchidists.
- Do not bad mouth any judging system or award. Remember, only the members who made the judgment can know how and why the award was made (or not made). Although photographs can be helpful in studying plant structure and color, distortion of form often occurs when and if the camera is not placed directly in front and at the center of the plant.
In all activities and discussions within the judging area or outside, a Judge is expected to conduct himself in a manner, which will reflect credit upon the judging system, upon himself and other Judges. Thus the individual Judge brings high standards to the system and the system reciprocates by bringing elevated status to an individual Judge.